We simply couldn’t ignore this pestering quote by Charlie Jones that kept making its way to our ears over + over + over again, “You will be the same person in five years as you are today except for the people you meet + the books you read.” We keep hearing it EVERYWHERE!!! We first heard this quote at our mentoring session with Amy + Jordan (more about that here) + after coming back to it again + again, we figured it was time we started taking action! Let’s face it, we know that there were countless benefits to reading:
1. Increases imagination + knowledge
2. Helps you learn from the best
3. Reduces stress
4. Builds focus
5. Expands vocabulary
6. Increases leadership skills
7. Betters speaking skills
8. Expands creativity
9. Burns more calories than watching TV!!
All true, right?! We can’t ignore it any longer, so instead we decided to challenge ourselves.
THE CHALLENGE: schedule (at least) 15 minutes of reading business-related books per day.
At its core, this seems like a very simple challenge, but if you’re like us, you struggle to find even a spare hour most days! However, we have come to terms with the fact that this time must be scheduled into our day.
If you want to join us in this little challenge, we encourage you to pick any book in your field of expertise, or one that in some way relates to it so you can start your own personal growth right away! We look forward to learning + growing with all of you guys + can’t wait for all of the awesome conversations that will happen because of this!! Hooray for expanding our knowledge!!!!
If you need few recommendations for business books, here is our current list!
1. How To Win Friends + Influence People – Dale Carnegie
2. Jab, Jab, Jab Right Hook – Gary Vaynerchuk
3. The Alchemist – Paulo Coelho
4. The 4 Hour Work Week – Timothy Ferriss(the book we are currently reading)!!
5. The Lean Startup – Eric Reis
6. Rework – Jason Fried
7. Purple Cow – Seth Godin
8. Delivering Happiness – Tony Hsieh
9. Think + Grow Rich – Napoleon Hill
10. Mastery – Robert Greene
11. The Millionaire Fastlane – MJ DeMarco
12. 7 Habits of Highly Effective People – Stephen Covey
13. Smart Couples Finish Rich – David Bach
14. The Millionaire Next Door – Thomas Stanley + William Danko