Six DECADES together + these two are still laughing. I think this is one of the biggest things we’ve learned so far in shooting these monumental, truly lifelong anniversary sessions — the laughter. The joy. The “dont-sweat-the-small-stuff” kind of attitude. An ability to still be playful + steal a smiled glance at any given moment. These are just some of the commonalities we’ve observed amongst these beautifully aging couples.
There is a lot to be learned from this, I think. And it goes back to an idea that our marriage counselor shared with us a couple of months ago — friendship. “There is great importance + weight in building your marriage on friendship,” she told us. I believe her wholeheartedly. Not only a marriage rooted in love, but one rooted in “like.” LIKING each other results in that joy + laughter + fun + longevity. I feel like I’m starting to see a pattern : )
Art + Shirley invited us to their home + to the place where they have lived their whole lives. Where they were raised, where they met, + where they built their own beautiful family. We laughed with them + learned from them, + afterwards, we sat around a table + shared some drinks together. A wonderful, wonderful evening : ) Enjoy some of our favorites from their session!!
1. Where do you two live + what is one of your favorite things about your city?
We have lived in the Spring Green area all our lives — three children, eight grandchildren. We love our friendly small town, great schools + churches, unique shopping + fine restaurants.
2. How did you two meet + how long have you been married?
We met in 1950 in Spring Green at a roller skating party at The Rainbow Garden Dance Hall. We will be married 61 years in January.
3. Art, what is one of your favorite things about Shirley? Shirley, what is one of your favorite things about Art?
A: Her love of family.
S: His love of family + his way of making life fun! He is a wonderful husband, father, grandfather, + great-grandfather!
4. What has been a day-to challenge of marriage that you weren’t necessarily expecting? How do you battle that challenge?
There is a challenge everyday, to be the best we can be for each other, our family, + God. Out Catholic upbringing + our faith is our help everyday.
5. What is one of your favorite things about marriage? What do you love about it?!
Having someone to share everything with — joys, dreams, problems, heartache, family, + happiness!
6. What is the hardest thing (or one of) that you have experienced in your marriage? How did you overcome this trial + how has it helped you grow/flourish as a couple?
The death of our loved ones — our faith gives us strength + encouragement to persevere. We know God is with us + will be our refuge.
These were taken on Main Street in Art + Shirley’s hometown of Spring Green, Wisconsin! They told us about how this street has changed so much over the years they’ve lived there. It was beautiful to hear the history from their personal perspective! : )
I love this little beach along the river!! So pretty!!
To view more Anniversary Sessions, click here!