Happy FOUR years, Caleb <3
All in the same breath it feels like just yesterday was our wedding day and yet also, that we have been married much longer than four years. I guess the uniting of hearts has a way of doing that with time and space between two souls.
I was all stressed about writing a blog post to you and also having to write a card (do I say the same thing in both, will I have enough things to say?) — of course, I’m sure this doesn’t surprise you about me but in the end, I have decided to recap this past year in this post and share a few more personal things with you in my card : )
What a year it has been. I feel like this has been a HUGE year of growth for us. We have walked through some of the highest of highs and lowest of lows this year in our relationship and in the relationships around us. I am looking back on the year, however, with only feelings of thankfulness and joy. I have no doubt that the hard times have only helped to continue the building of the foundation of our marriage. It’s funny how now, when I think back to some of those hard times — as impossible and heart-wrenching as I know they felt in the moment — I can look back with gratefulness. And truly so. Those specific experiences and, in general, the things about our relationship that can be challenging or difficult, they have shaped and continue to shape me into the whole and complete woman that Christ has created me to be. In light of eternity, I could never ask for anything more.
I am so thankful to you for allowing God to use you in such a significant way in my life. The most important way.
Okay, that got a bit more deep than I was anticipating but I am just writing without overthinking. Ha! Also looking back on the year, I am grateful for the experiences we have had together. Thank you for valuing these experiences and for sharing them with me <3
- Buying and moving into our home that we love so much
- Exploring the trails in our new neighborhood
- Carolyn and David’s wedding in San Miguel de Allende
- Lots of nights watching This Is Us and Parenthood
- Shooting a NYE wedding and exploring Philadelphia
- Visting Widders in San Diego
- Neighborhood parties
- Going to Australia and New Zealand with Shane and Devon
- Witnessing you discover your love for running
- Traveling to Malibu with Mike and Meghan
- Experiencing so many of our friends add to their families
- Winning the Wisconsin Bride Award for Best Photographer
- Another amazing CONNECT retreat
- Launching We Are The Engels
- Photographing in and exploring St. Louis
- Too many house projects
- Boat days on The Chain
- Camping and kayaking in Pictured Rocks
We have so much to be thankful for, but I am truly most thankful for you. Thank you for the endless ways you remind me how much you love me and value our marriage above all else. Cannot wait to see what this coming year has in store!
I love you with all my heart,
We had these photos taken by the incredible talented husband and wife duo behind Koman Photography when we were in Malibu last spring <3